Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Crepe Place


After an afternoon at Sunset State Beach, Erika and I had dinner at The Crepe Place. We had originally wanted to try out Lilian's again but they were on vacation and closed. The Crepe Place, located in Santa Cruz, was just down the strip a few buildings. We had the choice of sitting inside or outside. To get to our seats outside, we passed by the bar & mini stage area which are right in the front door and then headed down a hall which leads to the main dining area. The garden and outside seating was just outside this main dining area.

This place had such great potential! I mean, how wrong can a crepe get? I was sadly mistaken.


Since Erika and I ordered dinner and not a la carte, we started the meal off with a honey-wheat bread loaf. Best part about the bread was the presentation. Came on a cute wooden plank, speared with a knife.

Next we had our salad or soup. Erika's salad was just your average garden salad while my french onion soup was very salty. When I first received it, I wondered where the cheese was. The picture you see is what my bowl looked like when I was served. The cheese was at the bottom of the bowl and the croutons were a bit soggy by the time it got to me. As you can see from the pic, the bowl wasn't very neat either.


Crepe Fredo – 12.00 / 16.50 Blue Point Crab, Spinach, White Cheddar Cheese, Swiss Gruyere, Mushrooms, Onions & Herbal Seasonings. Topped with our White Wine Alfredo Sauce.

I was sorely disappointed in the crepe I ordered, which was the Crepe Fredo. I think it would've been better had there not been any crab in the crepe. Also, the Alfredo sauce that the crepe was drenched in was separating and not very appetizing to look at. Presentation wise, I would give it a 3 out of 10.


Crepe Gatsby Р10.50 / 15.00 Saut̩ed Chicken Breast, Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto, Spinach, Feta & Mozzarella Cheeses, Fresh Mushrooms, Scallions, Tomatoes & Garlic. Sprinkled with Romano Cheese.

The redeeming grace of Erika's crepe, which was the Crepe Gatsby, was that it had garlic in it and it wasn't soaked in sauce. I preferred hers over mine.


My favorite part of the meal was the ginger ale, and then that wasn't even that wonderful. It tasted better with the squeeze of lime and lemon juice.

Being sadly disappointed with our meal, I decided to pass on dessert. It was too pricey for the quality of food we received and the service wasn't great either. At the end of our meal, we had to go and find our waitress so we could just pay and leave. Perhaps if I'm feeling generous in the future, I will go back and try the dessert crepes to see if they are any better than the dinner crepes.

1 comment:

JJ said...

You know, I would also rate this a 3 out 10. Sloppy presentation, quality of food sub-par for the price of the meal. My high point, when we left and started walking back to the car. Low point, my head feeling like it was going to melt from sitting under such high heat from the propane heater.