Saturday, September 18, 2010

Fenton's Creamery and Restaurant

Last night I went with a few friends to a creamery in Oakland, California. Being lactose intolerant, I knew I'd be sorry in the morning for this splurge of dairy. But I figured I've been behaving myself lately (in regards to dairy) and figured it would be a nice treat to myself before school starts. I've always heard good things about it. Fenton's serves items from a crab melt to Cobb salad to a dessert called The Saddleback Brownie.

My friend Jessie and I both had the small 'Old Fashioned Sundaes.' The sundaes were very good. They were served in a goblet that is placed on a small plate to hold all the fudge and toppings that drip off the ice cream. It contains a generous scoop of ice cream topped with one topping of our choice, whipped cream, almonds and a cherry. Jessie went with the traditional vanilla and I went with Mint Cookie ice cream. After scarfing down my sundae, I realized I would have been completely content with the petite size.


Our friend Dave got the Banana Jr that was anything but junior! A banana slice was buried under 3 heaping scoops of vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice cream which was covered in pineapple, strawberries and hot fudge. With additional toppings of whipped cream, almonds and a cherry. Needless to say, it is not a diet friendly dish.
They've been around since 1894 so they must be doing something right.

1 comment:

Julianne said...

I love this place! You just can't find old school sundaes like this anymore. We take our kids sometimes and get those obscenely large triple scoop sundaes with tons of toppings. Soooo tasty.