Sunday, February 27, 2011

Irish Soda Bread

My mom sent a picture of some bread she baked over the weekend and it looked amazing. Feeling inspired, I wanted to make some to go along with the chicken crock pot meal we had for dinner. I looked at several recipes but finally decided on Grandpa McAndrew's recipe, mostly because it looked the easiest. What made it quick is that it does not have yeast, so you don't have to wait for the dough to proof.

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1/2 cup raisins (I omitted this as I do not have raisins at the moment)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 cup buttermilk (I placed a tablespoon of lemon juice into a cup of milk and let sit for 10 minutes for it to get 'tangy')
  • 2 tablespoons margarine, melted (I used 3 tablespoons of olive oil, as I read that as a suggestion from one of the reviews of this recipe)
  • 1 egg for egg wash

Directions

  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda and sugar. Make a well in the center and add the egg, buttermilk, and melted margarine. Stir until all of the dry ingredients are absorbed. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a few quick turns just to even out the dough. Handle the dough as little as possible. Pat into a flat circle, and place onto the prepared sheet. (I read a review that someone used their mixer so that is what I did as well to incorporate the wet & dry ingredients, then I kneaded it a little.) Cut an 'X' over the top and cover with egg wash to ensure a nice browning while baking.
  3. Bake the bread for 40 to 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the edges are golden.
Now I have something to go along with our corned beef & cabbage come March 17th! That day I will be turning in my last final for the quarter!!

No comments: